A Ministry of Christian Chefs International (CCI)

Friday, November 18, 2016

Being Real...Really!


Real-ly! 
     After years of service, I still get passionate about our profession...and I am content to still be able to contribute in this ministry. Why? Because of the Passion Jesus showed as He walked through this earth and took on our image...

     I believe in our mission, and the guiding principles of our work. I am very com­mitted with a teamwork approach and enjoy the variety of challenges ...Yes many of us in the world can cook...and as I like to share there are millions of awesome "Chefs" out there...most of them are called...Mom.  
     As Chefs we are wanting to create and produce memorable cuisine food that transcends the physical and feeds the Soul. I was talking once to a young man  13 years of age...and when I asked him what his favorite food was his eyes grew large pupils dilated a bit smiled and said "My Mom's fried chicken and we are having it tonight!".  I could see the physical reaction and excitement to that occurring and he was excited!...
     So...Being always in search of special recipes and "secret" ingredients and wanting to know the secret of such an influential meal...I went to his Mom ( they were our next door neighbors), and struck up a conversation as she cooked, and asked her about her fried chicken focusing to remember each step and nuance that made this fried chicken so special.  She patiently told me...she just put salt and pepper in Flour...dredged the chicken in it and fried it in generic oil till brown and done...I asked her about the chicken...she said whatever was on sale at the store...I asked her about the oil...same she had used soy, corn and peanut   didn't matter to her.   OK so I thought  and asked about her Pan...maybe it was her great granny's seasoned cast Iron....Nope...it was just her large skillet... she didn't even have a cast iron griswold...I even asked about the Salt and pepper!   special method? I asked  "no " she said.."just medium heat and watch it so it doesn't burn."  Hmmm   
     As she hollered for her kids...I felt her presence of being the caretaker, and lover of her family...simple pure Love...She put a couple pieces on a plate and said "here's some for you and your wife...we have plenty"  I thanked her and took it home.  Cat was glad we didn't have to cook on such a hot day...it was a blessing...so we pulled some leftovers and salad and ate dinner...We said a few words thanking Our Father for the provision and asked him to bless our neighbors...then dug in I grabbed a piece and took a bite and while it was nothing special to look at  or texturally nothing "outstandingly special" The flavor...was chicken!  So I settled in to eating...and as I chewed it sorta "filled" me   the Chicken became....more.  I was holding it, I could feel it...I could see it it was Golden brown...and the taste just soared in my mouth to umami and beyond!      Actually it was...the best fried chicken I had tasted in quite a  long time...I always had a saying that sticks with me to this day  " My goal is not to analyze ...but to realize" ....Really!  In all my figuring out I missed the "secret ingredient"....and now I was tasting it. Not only the grand amount of affection and Love...but I thought I could taste if not a happy chicken  then one that was content...I was getting a taste of the Big Picture...or in a food expression...the whole enchilada!  As I ate I heard in that small still voice " This..is my body given for you...and as I reached for a drink " ...and this is the cup of the new covenant that I make with you  today ...here...now..."
      I seek daily to ‘do the right thing.’ And that transcends to the home...I know we make a difference in the lives of many but will never get that kind of recognition. I of­ten tell staff and others that the biggest and most success­ful testimony that makes a difference that I have encountered in my career is simple to describe: It’s the working relationship between staff and clients. JUst as we do in family...We role model behavior and attitude for others. Just as we in the mission field of our homes...we take it to the streets...Do you have any experiences where you could taste the Love?  Try to remember...Tasting and seeing...and with eyes open wide go and do likewise...share...taste and see!

Have a groovy day and lets get real again ...real soon perhaps tomorrow!
  
Rock and Roll!  Jesus is the Rock...and we ROLL!

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Chef Leo....Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Kevin! And I am blessed through you....Rock and Roll!

      Delete